We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Robotics engineering team is responsible for the software and algorithms that make the vehicle select and follow appropriate trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes localization, routing, remote assistance, planning, motion planning and controls, frameworks and performance, and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors).
The Staff Engineer for the Planning Acceleration team at Cruise should be an experienced technical leader with a passion for autonomous vehicles. The ideal candidate will leverage a very deep knowledge of C++ and architectural design to modernize and streamline the overall planning architecture, accelerating the execution velocity of all planning teams. At Cruise, we believe in engineering leaders who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing. The ideal candidate will be comfortable switching context from programming in C++, designing elegant software architectures, defining how to test, benchmark, and debug complex systems, and mentorship for associate and senior software Engineers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Define technical vision for mission-critical parts of the AV robotics system
- Work across orgs to ensure that the joint architecture across the full stack is coherent and is capable of solving relevant problems
- Define testing strategy (incl. subsystem testing, integration testing, road testing) for Planning.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and mentorship to our robotics associate and senior engineers as they propose, prototype, evaluate, and iterate solutions
- Set and maintain a high technical bar for hiring
- Lead large initiatives involving many stakeholders by driving impact analysis, and ensuring alignment with (and existence of) the larger architectural roadmap
- Maintain alignment between senior leadership and engineering teams through effective executive communication
- Assist in design and code review
- Lead by example - set standards for code, design, and development processes across the organization
- Identify opportunities to update and/or streamline the current Robotics Engineering processes
- Minimize the technical, operational, and economic barriers relative to adoption of sophisticated robotic solutions
- Anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Build scalable, maintainable and robust code
- Collaborate effectively with engineers, designers, and stakeholders
- Work closely with other teams in planning and controls to proactively identify and mitigate execution bottlenecks through improvements to architecture, infrastructure, or processes
What you must have:
- A track record of successfully planning and executing on strategic investments in technical debt and refactoring of legacy systems with a focus on accelerating the overall delivery pace of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and set the architectural direction of pre-existing large-scale C++ software projects spanning multiple teams and years of active, intensive development.
- Firmly-established opinions guided by direct prior experience on managing trade-offs between investing in immediate engineering excellence and delivering business value and funding incremental improvements to an existing system vs. “green-field” development.
- Familiarity with functional programming and experience applying functional concepts to production-scale C++ software engineering (e.g. immutable data structures and separating execution from algorithmic description), especially as it applies to writing understandable, high-performance code.
- Experience in runtime performance optimization, including optimizing memory access patterns, exploiting cache locality, loop unrolling, vectorization, and minimizing kernel/system overhead.
- Prior work with numerical/scientific computing: 3D rendering, linear algebra solvers, ML pipelines, video game engines, distributed systems, etc.
- Operating systems and schedulers
- Multithreaded software engineering
- Runtime performance optimization
- DAG-based execution pipelines
- Video game engines, renderers, or numeric computing
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.