We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive system safety analysis, hazard identification, and mitigation efforts for Cruise’s Operational Safety team
- Perform safety analyses for software, hardware, and operational changes to identify whether factors can contribute to a hazard for the fleet and work with engineering and operations teams to identify safer solutions
- Serve as the operational safety expert for fleet safety on major company projects and programs. Architect approach to safety assessment and validation of human-machine interface aspects. This includes review and input to both engineering designs and operational plans to ensure overall system safety.
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are being effectively addressed
- Work with the Technical Operations team to identify critical maintenance to keep the fleet running safely
- Develop operational safety requirements working collaboratively with engineering and operations teams.
- Ensure bi-directional traceability between operational safety requirements and system hazards, including a validation process to close the loop on safety controls implementation verification
- Support operations response team to analyze field data including incidents to identify risk trends and areas of safety improvement
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Cruise’s safety program including creation and iteration of fleet risk assessment standards and tools
- Participate in program audits to ensure effective operational safety controls implementation
- Promote safety culture at Cruise
What you must have:
- PhD, Master's Degree, or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or related scientific field
- 5+ years of postgraduate engineering work experience that includes System Safety Engineering
- Familiarity with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA), System Safety Hazard Analysis (SHA), and Human Factors
- Experience identifying safety hazards and developing studies in human-machine interface
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills and problem resolution skills
- Team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Self-motivated. Agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment
- Expertise in safety analysis for autonomous vehicles
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.