We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
The Data Science and Analytics team is dedicated to organizing our data, building metrics and models to explain and diagnose the performance of our AV technology, guide strategic decision making through statistical analysis and experimentation, and improve the AV stack with data driven models, decision thresholds, and simulation testing. As a Staff Data Analyst/ Engineer you’ll be responsible for working with petabytes of autonomous driving data leveraging the most advanced cloud technologies and in-house data processing, and data modeling tools.
The Data Analytics team works directly with AV engineers and leadership to extract key insights from our massive road and simulation data and provide actionable recommendations. Additionally, we design metrics, methods of analysis, and mine our extensive driving data to understand how our AVs behave in complex circumstances, and feed that data back into improving the software should the AV encounter similar circumstances in the future. Our analysts take the lead on analyzing enormous data sets, defining metrics, designing decision trees, and synthesizing information across multiple datasets by utilizing state-of-the-art technologies and building new tools to accelerate our innovation.
The ideal candidate for this role is capable of articulating a vision for their ideas and building consensus among senior leaders and driving cross functional managers and engineers to execute accordingly. They can initiate large projects with complex data dependencies, breaking them down to the right logical components so implementation can be accomplished by others when necessary. They have a company-wide view of ML and data pipelines to assure that data processing and analysis work is not duplicated. They can align technical dependencies across multiple projects and teams, understand the effects of stakeholder design decisions on data pipelines (or production systems), and drive stakeholder adoption of company standards for data storage and access. The candidate has a deep understanding of the business and operational impact for different technology tradeoffs, and able to balance effectively and guide the group's strategy based on company needs.
What you’ll be doing:
- Systematically validate assumptions and quickly identify appropriate solution methods for an analysis problem
- Utilize Google Cloud tools such as Dataflow and BigQuery, Python, Looker and SQL to pull data and provide analytical insights
- Define, report, and monitor key performance indicators, and lead deep dives into variations of KPIs from normal behavior
- Design appropriate ETL pipelines that can withstand the test of time and the petabyte scale of our data
- Build statistical models to predict interactions and segment users based on behavior
- Provide ad-hoc analytics support as needed, ranging from helping teams develop the question through tracking and implementation to analytics and insights
- Collaborate with machine learning infrastructure, data science & analytics, and system engineering teams to build shareable data tools, maintain documentation, and participate in deep-dives to understand drivers of success
- Lead engineers and cross functional stakeholders on how to most effectively use the data tools at Cruise to improve their workflow
- Own a significant portion of their team’s analysis software and tools, reliably maintaining a production system, such as a real-time decision or reporting system
What you must have:
- 8+ years post-academic experience in analytics, machine learning, data engineering, and data science
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and provide thoughtful, agile insights
- Experience developing, maintaining, automating, visualizing, analyzing, and communicating insights to management
- Fluency in SQL and R/Python
- Experience acting as data architect, design lead, or engineering manager
- Experience acting as a technical subject matter expert on cross-team initiatives
- Experience in advising leadership at the director, VP and CTO level on technical strategy and tech teams talent needs.
- Java, C++ experience
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.