We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
Cruise is seeking a Staff Hardware Engineer to lead the development of our on-vehicle Telematics Control Units. In this position, you will be responsible for delivering the core hardware that enables our autonomous vehicles to communicate with the external world, supporting critical functionality such as fleet management, remote vehicle assistance, and in-vehicle infotainment. You will collaborate and drive discussions with our internal Product Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, Test Engineering, Functional Safety, Cybersecurity, Program Management, and Supply Chain teams. In this position, you will also be responsible for interfacing with external partners and suppliers to ensure that the hardware meets our functional and performance requirements while maintaining cost and timing targets.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead technical discussions and conduct design reviews with cross-functional teams and relevant stakeholders
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering and Architecture teams to drive the requirements definition, analysis, development and documentation of module technical specifications
- Review test plans and test results ensuring requirements have been met by the hardware design
- Collaborate with Product, Safety, and Legal teams to ensure that the product meets all regulatory requirements
- Participate in feature/system safety analyses and component DFMEA
- Participate in regular reviews with external suppliers to track hardware development progress and resolve technical issues
- Liaison with Technical Project Management to track timelines, burn down risks, and seek opportunities in meeting timing targets
- Partner with Supply Chain Management to build supplier relationships and seek opportunities to reduce hardware development and unit costs
What you must have:
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 8+ years of postgraduate experience with developing telematics, networking, and infotainment hardware
- Extensive experience working with and managing relationships with domestic and international CM/OEM/ODM
- Expert in state-of-the-art processors, network switch and PHY ICs, cellular modems, and WLAN chipsets that comprise the architecture of telematics gateways and control units
- Design and certification experience with wireless communication standards and chipsets; LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax, WiGig, V2X, VoIP/VoLTE, and GNSS
- Familiarity with firmware and software stack development on wireless and network devices
- Excellent project management and supply chain management skills
- Experience collaborating and certifying with worldwide wireless carriers
- Familiarity with eCall/ERA-GLONASS standards
- Automotive experience in ISO26262, AEC-Q100/200, and Automotive Ethernet
- Hands-on knowledge of wireless communications (OFDM/MIMO, etc) and RF antenna performance and characterization
- Fluent in Mandarin
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.