We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
Cruise is co-developing a Shared Autonomous vehicle (SAV) with GM and Honda. In this role, you will be responsible for the hardware development of special variants to this base SAV as well as strategic base SAV development activities. This role requires you to work cross-functionally with Product, Operations and Design, reporting to our Vehicle Engineering lead.
An ideal candidate will have domain expertise in a variety of structural analysis skills having worked on a variety of components and systems. This role requires one to think creatively and be agile in a field that is constantly evolving and improving.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be part of a small, highly visible team at Cruise working on special projects that look at opportunities to broaden the utility of the Origin Platform
- Serve as the structural analysis go-to person, owning and driving the necessary CAE to help develop new hardware and enhancements for the base Cruise Origin
- Challenge yourself everyday to think creatively in solving problems that need a fine balance of engineering performance, cost, and aesthetics
- Just as Cruise has redefined the car, you’ll have a chance to redefine the way hardware is designed by relying on modern manufacturing techniques
- Lead and drive analysis, setup tools and processes, and partner with and manage end-to-end external test houses to validate your designs
- Provide frequent, timely, and targeted updates to Cruise customers and leadership on program progress relevant to vehicle development activities
What you must have:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials science or a related field
- 6+ years of post-graduate Automotive or Aerospace design experience
- Strong CAE (Ansys preferred) and CAD (SolidWorks and NX) capabilities
- Understanding of advanced concepts (modal analysis, resonance, damping, LCF, HCF, damage analysis, non-linear strain)
- Ability to plan physical testing with test houses to verify analysis
- Familiar with full vehicle crash and NVH analysis, including defining appropriate road loads and typical pass fail criteria
- Familiarity with FMVSS and ECE crash laws and developing HW that complies to those laws
- Experience with mass optimization, Topology optimization and thermal analysis
- Comfortable with change, ability to be self-directed, respond effectively in case of program ambiguities by driving cross-functional technical requirements.Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Ability to create succinct technical reports with clear trade-offs and recommendations
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Experience with additive manufacturing and taking 3D printed components to market.
- Experience working with and modelling composites, structures to mount cameras and AV sensors.
- Experience with working on a product from concept to production
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment, with designers and new concept studies.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.