We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Field Safety Engineer to join our Product Safety team in ensuring the safety of our autonomous vehicle fleet testing and operations. As part of the Product Safety department at Cruise, the Field Safety Engineer will support day-to-day fleet operations safety and major company initiatives by ensuring continuous improvement through analysis of our field data and risks.
In this position, you will collaborate with teams across Engineering, Operations, Product Safety, Security, Government Affairs and Legal to build and execute on a world-class systems safety risk management process in line with our company’s overall commitment to creating a safer world through autonomous vehicles.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead investigations into safety concerns, incidents, and significant close calls that affect our operating fleet.
- Drive the Operational Safety team's quantitative safety analysis through statistical analysis of field safety information.
- Work with teams across Cruise to develop solutions to continuously improve safety and determine short and long-term corrective and preventive actions to address investigation findings.
- Analyze data from our vehicles performance and operations to identify and assess trends affecting safety.
- Partner with Government Affairs and Legal teams to prepare data and analytics for regulatory reporting and responses to governmental investigations and legal claims related to our fleet.
- Participate in program audits to ensure effective traceability and readiness for governmental investigations into safety.
- Promote safety culture at Cruise and contribute to our Safety Management System including leading efforts to expand on our incident investigation and associated risk management programs
What you must have:
- PhD, Master's Degree, or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree
- 5+ years postgraduate work experience in field safety or related role
- Experience with accident investigations, accident reconstruction, and failure analysis in the automotive industry
- Familiarity with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Causal Analysis using System Theory (CAST), and Human Factors
- Data-driven analysis experience including application of statistical methodologies for assessing safety
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills and problem resolution skills
- Self-motivated. Agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment.
- Expertise in safety analysis for autonomous vehicles or similar industry
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance through auditing
- Familiarity with product safety and liability
- Experience interacting with regulators
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.