We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
In this position, you will collaborate to design, develop, and validate equipment and processes for calibrating autonomous vehicles. You will work closely with the Cruise software and hardware teams, and OEM engineers to design, simulate, analyze, and build scalable vehicle calibration systems that can be implemented at all Cruise locations.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with software and hardware teams to design, implement, and test the hardware, software, and processes required to calibrate current and future AV sensor suites
- Synthesize system performance requirements using input from cross-functional stakeholders and use these requirements to inform calibration architecture decisions
- Through design, testing, and analysis, transition calibration infrastructure from R&D to production and meet all aggressive program timelines
- Develop scripts and software to support the design, testing, and analysis of both R&D and production calibrations
- Develop software and hardware tools to monitor calibration quality and operational metrics in support of continuous improvement and root cause analysis
- Develop detailed test plans, test reports, and production process specifications
- Drive joint technical roadmaps for calibration hardware and software in collaboration with operations and AV design groups
- Participate in technical reviews and collaborate with teammates and cross-functional stakeholders to meet program goals
- Mentoring junior engineers
What you must have:
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Aerospace, etc.), Math, or Physics, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of engineering experience working with complex electromechanical systems
- Strong software skills in Python and C++
- Comfortable working in a Unix or Linux environment and utilizing shell commands
- Strong understanding of basic physics, statistics, and design of experiments
- Experience in manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, robotics, or similar industry
- Experience building, programming, and troubleshooting electromechanical systems
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact and understanding of which discipline can most easily solve a given technical problem
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to work in an ambiguous environment
- Ability to manage complex technical projects that require directing the work of a small team (1-3 supporting engineers or technicians)
- Demonstrated rapid prototyping skills
- Experience in the automotive industry
- Experience with volume production systems, industrial automation, and statistical process controls
- Proficiency in mechanical CAD (esp. Solidworks), CAE, and PLM (esp. Teamcenter)
- Experience with OpenCV libraries (C++ or Python)
- Experience using Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience using SQL for data analysis or to build dashboards
- Experience writing and releasing production software
- Experience programming robotic systems and/or PLCs
- Experience calibrating sensors (IMU, lidar, camera, radar, etc.)
- Deep understanding of the physics of at least one sensor technology (IMU, lidar, camera, radar, etc.)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.