We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
As a member of Cruise’s Future Compute Team, you will help blaze the trail for the rest of Cruise to develop, deploy and maintain high-performance and reliable Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software on the “next” generation of hardware architectures. You will work closely with hardware R&D and AV software teams (AI and robotics) to evaluate, simulate, and predict performance requirements for AV software workloads on future compute platforms. You will also help in integrating the AV software stack and novel sensor modalities onto these future compute platforms by solving performance critical issues and ensuring a reliable and robust platform bringup.
What you’ll be doing:
- Performance modeling and prediction of AV software stack performance on future compute platforms using performance models and simulators
- Work with AV software teams to characterize AV workload and provide requirements to AV hardware teams
- Prototype AV software stack and software toolchains/SDK for future platforms
- Analyze software architecture, identify algorithmic and architectural bottlenecks and collaborate with AV software teams to fix these bottlenecks
What you must have:
- Strong system fundamentals and coding abilities (C++)
- Strong background in computer architecture
- Solid understanding of how to design performance-critical software
- Solid background in working with compute accelerators (e.g. GPUs), programming languages (e.g. CUDA, OpenCL), and general purpose parallel programming
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Completing or recently completed MS or PhD in CS, or related technical field
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages
- Experience with real-time operating systems or software design
- Experience with designing software applications for safety critical systems
- Experience with ML frameworks (TensorFlow, ONNX, PyTorch)
- Experience with FPGA prototyping and emulation environments
- Experience with performance tools (e.g. perf, vtune, nsight, eBPF)
- Experience with performance modeling, simulation and analysis (TLM, cycle-accurate models, etc)
- Experience with lower-levels of an accelerator software stack (i.e. drivers, runtimes, and user-level API) and the inter-layer interactions
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.