We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
The Embedded OS team is dedicated to providing a high-performance platform for Cruise’s next generation of embedded devices. As an Embedded Linux Software Engineer, you’ll be responsible for designing, documenting and implementing robust low level device firmware, bootloaders, kernel and application development environments, and APIs across a wide variety of devices and systems. Your work will enable Cruise to build a state-of-the-art autonomy platform, including sensors, controllers, and embedded compute platforms.
- New board bring-up in collaboration with our Hardware R&D team
- OS and kernel porting to new compute platforms
- High performance driver development and tuning for networking, storage, data movement, and hardware I/O
- Library, framework, and build system development to enable application software work
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams
- Effectively participate in team’s planning, code reviews, KPIs reviews, and design discussions leading to continuous improvements in these areas
- Deliver complex projects through incremental develop
What you must have:
- New college graduates with exceptional lab / project experience.
- Solid fundamental CS / EE skill set with hands-on industry or university experience in embedded software development with an emphasis in the following areas:
- Board bring-up for x86 or ARM Cortex-A based systems
- Bootloader experience on the above platforms
- Writing kernel drivers for: networking, I/O, storage or high-performance data movement
- One or more of the following: Buildroot, Yocto, OpenEmbedded, OpenWRT
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies including Ethernet, WiFi and wireless sensor networks
- Knowledge about firmware security, secure communication, TLS and encryption/decryption
- Knowledge of and experience applying software best practice
Experience working with the following:
- GPUs or other hardware accelerators
- Linux kernel scheduling
- Distributed systems
- Multi-node NUMA or AMP systems
- PCIe-based devices
- ACPI or DeviceTree
- Secure boot
- QNX, VxWorks, or similar
- GRUB, UEFI, U-Boot, or similar
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.