We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software pipeline employs complex algorithms in the domains of Perception, Prediction, Localization, Planning and Controls, which leads to aggressive system compute and data-movement requirements. As part of the System Performance organization, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the growth and organization of the Kernels and Optimizations team. The ideal candidate will also mentor engineers and support career development, and work with other Engineering Managers and Technical Leads on design decisions and reviews.
If you're interested in innovating on a complex hardware-software system that contributes to one of the greatest technical challenges of our generation, let's chat!
What you'll be doing:
- Lead and grow a team of engineers within the Cruise AI department
- Ensure your team delivers quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code (e.g. AV and AI algorithms in CUDA/OpenCL implementations)
- Work with teams across Cruise to foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
- Invest heavily in recruiting, identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Lead the design and implementation of performance-driven kernels and algorithms for different AI/AV features, to be deployed on the AV software stack.
- Lead and drive the team’s vision, products’ roadmaps, and customers’ needs, while balancing long-term vs short-term priorities
- Lead the design of optimized library solutions for different hardware accelerators (GPU, SIMD, DSP, etc)
What you must have:
- Prior experience managing, leading, and growing teams
- Proven track record of shipping production-quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Previous (4+ years) experience in system software engineering
- Strong foundations in graph theory, data structures and algorithms
- Experience with developing parallel algorithms using task-level (TBB or equivalent), thread-level (OpenMP or equivalent) and/or data-level (GPU, SIMD, Neon, AVX2) parallelism
- Strong foundations in project management and in software development lifecycle - requirements gathering, architecture design, coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- MSc or PhD in High Performance Computing, Parallel Programming, or similar domains
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc) and ML inference stacks (e.g., TensorRT, TVM, etc)
- Experience with ROS architectures
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.