We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
We’re currently hiring a Senior Technical Program Manager to work with the Product Engineering team in San Francisco.
The Product Engineering team is responsible for bringing autonomous vehicles to market. They own Cruise Anywhere, the autonomous ridesharing service (available to Cruise employees), as well as the maps, dispatching and management tools needed to operate a driverless fleet.
Technical Program Managers are responsible for the “when” and the “how of the program”, and are held accountable for our teams delivering projects within the agreed upon timeline and requirements.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead technical specification portion of product documentation, and coordinate Design Review process
- Maintain intimate knowledge of systems, and identify unnecessary complexity or unmet dependencies
- Turn requirements and product specs into implementation roadmaps, including identifying cross-team dependencies and balancing new projects with tech debt or other proactive initiatives
- Work with Engineering Managers to calculate capacity and estimate effort for upcoming plans
- Collaborate with Product Manager and Engineering Managers to prioritize projects based on constraints (e.g. Eng capacity, fixes required to meet existing SLAs)
- Drive planning for their respective engineering teams
- Maintain company level planning
- Run relevant meetings (planning, design, etc.) alongside Engineering Managers and Technical Leads
- Attend relevant customer/other meetings to monitor progress, answer questions, and clarify details
- Escalate and coordinate with dependent teams to unblock work
- Drive and create processes for engineering tracking and execution
- Document status updates on progress towards deliverables, including monitoring project health
- Update company planning schedule as needed
- Monitor and flag ongoing risks, and address mitigation
- Ensure projects have appropriate tests and have been vetted for bugs prior to release
- Coordinate with Product Manager and Engineering Managers to ensure acceptance criteria have been met, and that projects/milestones are completed and delivered on schedule
- Validate non-functional requirements have been met, such as latency, performance, scalability, and cost
- Communicate schedule and progress to larger company program
- Monitor bug reporting; if bugs/issues, research root cause and drive resolution
- Drive engineering KPIs like uptime and other SLAs
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead multiple cross engineering projects
- Develop project roadmaps and delivery plans
- Work with engineers to define project success criteria and objectives
- Communicate across teams and outside agencies about team progress & needs
- Refine processes & tools used by your team and its cross-functional contributors
- Track and report on project progress, proactively drive corrective action as needed
- Build trusted relationships with team members and all relevant stakeholders
- Create and organize all project documentation
What you must have:
- 5+ years of industry experience in fast-paced tech company
- The ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Ability to influence without authority across engineering teams
- Excellent program management skills and experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or prior work experience as a software engineer
- Production-level experience leading full stack applications
- Experience using scalable backend APIs using Node.js, Go, or similar languages
- Experience using modern front-ends using React, Webpack, Babel, or similar tools
- Experience with robotics, autonomous vehicles, or complex electromechanical systems
- Experience with large real-time and/or high-availability systems
- Experience in Simulated Testing Environments
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.