We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The New Vehicle Introduction team is looking for a Senior Industrial Engineer to establish new systems and processes while optimizing existing workflows. You will work at the intersection of hardware, software, and AV technology. You will merge engineering and operations to scale new vehicle introductions with a business mindset.
Efficiency and productivity are key objectives to help make company decisions, and we are looking for an expert to anticipate inefficiencies and problems that could result in decreased productivity or quality. The focus is on how to get work done in the most efficient manner possible by balancing factors such as time, number of workers needed, available technology/tools/resources, and/or actions workers need to take. These activities should all occur while producing a reliable product without errors or compromising worker safety, environmental concerns, or cost.
This is a great opportunity to apply your transferable skills and experience from a crossover industry, such as aerospace / avionics, UAVs / drones, robotics, or automated manufacturing.
- Create and implement tools to audit and maximize operational efficiency, as well as cost reduction opportunities across the organization.
- Develop overall vehicle retrofit strategies, providing expert guidance for vehicle retrofit programs and schedules development.
- Identify, quantify, and compare current vehicle introduction processes and improve upon them (i.e. safety, ergonomics, quality / first pass yield, availability / uptime, performance / cycle time variability, capacity and capital utilization).
- Define, monitor and track the performance of operational equipment and processes.
- Review build schedules, engineering specifications, process flows, and other information to understand applied methods and activities taking place during current operations.
- Enact quality control procedures to resolve problems during production and/or retrofit processes, with the goal of enhancing throughput and quality while minimizing cost.
- Design control methods and coordinate activities to help plan and scale-up operations.
- Leadership skills and end-to-end project management experience.
- Experienced in industry-standard problem solving methodology (A3, ATS, UPS), preventive maintenance concepts, time/motion study analysis, lean manufacturing / 6 sigma principles, and change management.
- Previous industrial or process engineering experience working closely with mechanical, electrical, and software teams on complex electromechanical systems; 10+ years with BS or 8+ years with MS.
- Exceptional and proven analytical problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Capable of working independently while effectively communicating cross-functionally at all levels of the organization.
- Comfortable operating, and thriving, in an ambiguous and dynamic startup environment with an evolving project scope.
- Able to ramp up quickly in numerous new technical areas.
- Experience with low volume manufacturing or start-up manufacturing highly preferred.
- BS, MS, PhD in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Manufacturing/Industrial Mechanical/Aerospace/General Engineering, or Engineering Management
- Experience with any/all of the following: simulation modeling software, data visualization software, design software (SolidWorks).
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.