We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our employees have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
We are looking for a talented Technical Program Manager to join the Robotics TPM group in San Francisco. The Robotics department owns a significant area of the Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack as well as the teams that manage our release process as well as the Embedded Systems teams.
A little bit about the teams within this department.
The AV Robotics teams work closely with the Perception teams and manage the interface between prediction and planning and use destination inputs from the customer, the Planning team provides a route, decides how to handle obstacles along this route and generates a path to follow down the road. The Embedded Systems team writes and supports drivers, the operating system, hardware abstraction, testing on hardware, and launching the software on the vehicle. Release Management builds processes that enable safe continuous AV improvement and are responsible for technical analysis of all AV behavioral issues. Finally, the Localization & Mapping (LLCM) team is responsible for providing accurate six degrees of freedom vehicle pose estimates in real-time to all other software modules running on the AV (planning, perception, etc.), as well as accurate 3D/2D lidar map representations of each of our cities of operation.
As the Senior TPM, you will be responsible for managing technical programs, scheduling milestones, and defining acceptance criteria to ensure successful on-time delivery. TPMs are responsible for the “when” and the “how” of the program, and hold their teams accountable to deliver on research and engineering projects to achieve business objectives.
If you're interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning problems in the industry, let’s chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Drives the formulation and review of department roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly and monthly cadence
- Drive agile planning frameworks that optimize work to strike a balance between agile vs planned
- Partner with Technical Product Managers to turn requirements and technical specs into achievable implementation roadmaps, including planning timelines and milestones and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of strategic initiatives, iterative improvements, and proactive engineering excellence investments. Support calculation of team capacity vs estimated workload, and ensure the team can deliver on their commitments
- Promote communication to effectively execute, filter, summarize reporting across the department to escalate issues and celebrate wins.
- Lead and improve cross-functional execution processes
- Establish confidence from partner teams to continuously minimize distractions or conflicts and push groups to maximize their output.
- Use technical judgement in working with large, cross engineering teams
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and contribute to the department design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
What you must have:
- 5+ years of TPM (2+ robotics or non-deterministic systems)
- Track record of driving execution across large engineering org and driving teams toward the next level of rigor
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical field (former engineer)
- Experience managing complex fast-paced safety critical initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations, often with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Proficient with Agile testing methodologies and best practices
- Passionate about self-driving car technology and its impact on the world
- Domain experience in path planning, optimization, control theory, graph theory, machine learning
- Exposure to verifying and validating safety critical software and systems
- Experience developing autonomous vehicles
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.