We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Remote Assistance system leverages human intuition to assist our Autonomous Vehicles in challenging situations. Our full stack engineering team in Robotics develops and operates the technology that provides this capability.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join Remote Assistance Engineering. In this role you will develop new software capabilities, provide technical leadership and help evolve the system architecture to scale with Cruise.
What you’ll be doing:
- Invent, extend, design and develop full stack features for the Remote Assistance system
- Identify, define and advocate for system and architecture improvements
- Help prioritize development roadmaps and plan future projects
- Lead technology projects and actively participate in day-to-day team execution
- Influence others and build consensus even over contentious technical debates
- Partner with teams across Cruise in technical design, planning and execution
- Represent Remote Assistance Engineering in Cruise leadership discussions
- Mentor and coach engineers and lead by example in exemplifying engineering excellence
What you must have:
- World class experience designing, developing and operating low latency, high performance, reliable distributed systems in relevant domains (teleoperations, telepresence, multiplayer gaming, trading systems, videoconferencing, etc)
- Thorough understanding of geographically distributed modern cloud-based system architectures
- Working knowledge of network protocols and performance characteristics
- Ability to effectively influence, lead and inspire engineers
- Ability to effectively communicate across technology, business and operational disciplines
- Interest in Autonomous Vehicle engineering
Experience in any of the following areas:
- Teleoperations or telepresence
- Video streaming at scale
- Safety-critical software systems
- Google Cloud Platform
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.