We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Would you like to work with ground-breaking technology? Are you as comfortable behind the wheel as you are with a computer? If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
As an Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Test Operator, you will help us test and improve the performance of our driverless cars. You will tackle hard problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications. You should have strong attention to detail, basic technical skills, and an excellent driving record. Integrity, good judgment, and the ability to work in a team environment are required at all times. You will be expected to keep certain project details confidential.
What you'll be doing:
- Work in teams, alternating (i) driving (some manual driving but primarily monitoring the vehicle's behavior in autonomous mode and taking over when necessary) and (ii) software monitoring and logging responsibilities and providing verbal feedback/directions about the AV’s environment.
- Complete timely and detailed ride reports for our operations and engineering teams
- Participate in the ongoing training of new AVTOs
- Test other aspects of our robot cars
- Perform ad hoc projects as needed
What you must have:
- Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application and currently hold an active, valid U.S. driver’s license
- No more than one point on driving record and excellent driving skills
- A clean background check and drug screen
- Ability to drive and/or spend time sitting in a car for 6-8 hours/day
- Ability to give and receive clear, prompt, understandable verbal and written communication
- Ability to accurately type and read on a laptop in a moving vehicle
- Ability to safely operate the vehicle in accordance with Cruise safety protocols and applicable law. This includes, but is not limited to, having a sufficient range of motion to turn a steering wheel, safely operating the accelerator and brake, checking blind spots and evaluating the environment, and maintaining appropriate air bag clearance.
- Ability to tolerate physical jolts and high speed starts, stops, turns, and maneuvers associated with driving or taking control of the autonomous vehicle in both training and daily job functions
- Ability to perform physical work including, but not limited to, bending, stooping, and various operational tasks
- Ability to work effectively and professionally in a stressful environment, including interactions with the public
- Ability to remain alert and extremely focused for two-hour uninterrupted blocks of time
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements to become an AVTO (13 CCR § 227.34)
- 40 hours per week, five consecutive days, 8-hour shifts
- Currently hiring for overnight (10pm-6am or 11:30pm-7:30am) shift only - bonus points for past experience with night shifts!
- You may be required to work weekends
This position is full-time employment with our contingent workforce partner, paying $20/hour and offering benefits, 401(k), and paid time off.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.>>