We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced safety and program management leader to lead our Safety Management System for Cruise that spans across all aspects of safety at the company including product development, workplace safety, and operations. In this position, you will collaborate with teams across Engineering, Operations, Product Safety, EHS, Hardware, HR, and Legal to build a world-class safety management system program in line with our company’s overall commitment to creating a safer world.
If you're interested in how to incorporate safety in the early stages of design and enable cutting edge technology development while making the world a better place, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure effective implementation of the Cruise Safety Management System including the four pillars of Safety Policy, Safety Risk Management, Safety Assurance, and Safety Promotion
- Maintain and execute on detailed implementation and communications plans and track progress relative to SMS objectives
- Design and conduct SMS trainings and be a champion of SMS and safety culture at Cruise
- Proactively monitor and communicate SMS performance. Conduct formal periodic reviews of the SMS with executive leadership and present data in periodic safety meetings
- Oversee the implementation and administration of the SMS including SMS software-based tools for scale and efficiency. Manage and control SMS content to maintain simplified language and a user friendly experience. Manage the system functionality to ensure appropriate interfaces are maintained and proper technologies are used to facilitate implementation. Ensure all SMS elements are aligned and function as an effective system within the broader Cruise design and operations workflows
- Advance Cruise risk assessment standards and lead implementation of new or changing standards across the safety and systems engineering teams in Cruise
- Develop, implement and maintain the SMS audit program including leading and/or coordinating with internal and external SMS audit teams
- Develop and maintain the governance for the SMS program, in consultation with Legal, including document control, recordkeeping timelines, access, and workflows
- Serve as the subject matter expert and represent the company to external stakeholders including regulatory officials and industry associations in all matters related to the Cruise SMS program
What you must have:
- Broad safety knowledge with 10+ years of leadership experience implementing and managing SMS in a transportation sector (AV’s, aviation, automotive, trucking, maritime, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills with ability to provide clear recommendations and solutions
- Familiarity with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA), and System Safety Hazard Analysis (SHA).
- Ability to negotiate and creatively problem solve for mutually successful outcomes with business leaders
- Ability to influence at all levels of management and formulate a compelling business case
- Ability to manage through ambiguity and provide clarity to the team
- Results-driven with excellent project and program management skills
- Stays current with safety & health industry trends, is a member of professional safety associations and has a strong network of safety professionals for best practice sharing
- Ability to be agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment
- BA/BS or higher degree
- Champion of safety culture
- An advanced degree in safety, engineering, or related technical fields
- Expertise in safety analysis and risk management for autonomous vehicles
- Experience working with the ICAO SMS framework
- Statistics and data analysis experience
- Experience with DOT, FMVSS, NHTSA
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.