We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- This is a combined role covering both engineering and people management
- Lead a team of Functional Safety engineers to support all aspects of autonomous vehicle development across the company
- Recruit additional Functional Safety engineers, build and lead the team
- Set priorities and targets for the team, plan and allocate resources to support dynamic business needs
- Develop Cruise’s Functional Safety strategy from concept to implementation.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop Hazard and Risk Analysis (HARA), Safety Concepts, DFMEA and other Functional Safety work products for various systems. Get the buy-in from system owners, follow through the validation process
- Develop Functional Safety validation plans and support the execution of the validation tests
- Work closely with internal teams and suppliers to define Functional Safety interfaces between Cruise and its project partners. Review and approve Development Interface Agreement and other necessary Functional Safety documents for suppliers and other external partners
- Develop Functional Safety processes and tools tailored for Cruise’s product and development processes, support the implementation of these processes and tools for the whole organization
What you must have:
- BS in an engineering discipline such as computer science, electrical or mechanical engineering, advanced degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience managing teams
- 5+ years of work experience as a Functional Safety engineer or closely related role
- Deep knowledge of automotive hardware and/or software development processes and the Systems Engineering V-Model
- Expert knowledge of ISO 26262 and its applications in automotive industries
- Proven track record of successes, e.g. having successfully managed functional safety analyses of a system or product to make it safer
- Ability to articulate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the business, within and beyond the engineering communities
- Direct experience in autonomous driving industry as a Functional Safety engineer or systems engineer
- Knowledge and insights about SOTIF
- Experience in building and managing a high-performance team
- Ability and mindset to learn new things and evolve established processes to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment suitable for the next generation of technology
- Drive and influence to be an advocate for safety across all levels of hardware and software development
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.