We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Staff Software Engineer on the Ground Truth team to design and implement the technologies that enable Cruise’s Perception & Prediction teams to build their machine learning models and ultimately improve the safety of our self-driving cars.
The systems and services the Ground Truth team owns cover a large portion of ML development lifecycle, all the way from data mining, data labeling, to automated model training and evaluation pipelines. We build sophisticated tools to discover what are the most relevant driving examples that will improve the performance of our ML models. We also build web-based data annotation systems and scalable data pipelines, used by our on-site and remote labeling teams, to ingest, manipulate, and annotate multidimensional, multimodal time series data to produce ground truth for machine learning training and validation purposes. In addition, we build highly automated pipelines to train and evaluate production-quality ML models in order to iteratively improve the quality of our ML datasets.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop data mining tools to discover rare and/or challenging driving scenarios to enrich ML training and evaluation datasets.
- Build web-based systems to annotate multidimensional, multimodal time series data and produce ML ground truth by leveraging both human and machine intelligence
- Design and implement scalable pipelines to make ground truth data more accessible to ML engineers throughout the company
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment where the immediate impact is a result of your efforts and where your contribution is highly visible
- Desire to be a complete team player by independently performing ad hoc duties, as they arise, outside of the main role in order to complete projects
What you must have:
- 7+ years of industry experience
- BS, MS or PhD in CS, Math, Physics, or equivalent real-world experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience building scalable APIs
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Have a deep understanding of the business and operational impact for different technology tradeoffs
- Considered one of the technical leaders of their company who guides technology choices
- Working knowledge of applied machine learning and 3D geometry
- Experience using ML software stack such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, and KubeFlow
- Experience writing in Go, ES6, Python, or similar
- Experience working with frontend technology such as react and redux
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.