We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior Hardware Engineer to help us develop and integrate next-generation high-performance LiDAR sensors to our vehicles. The Senior Hardware Engineer works with systems engineering, vehicle integration, perception software, fleet reliability and external partners to develop and integrate cutting-edge technologies to our autonomous vehicles and conduct in-depth root cause investigations into vehicle-specific or fleet-wide issues to develop long-term solutions to these issues.
In this role you will develop Cruise or third-party sensors to meet systems and perception requirements, carry out sensor and system characterization and integration and follow on to fleet rollout and support.
If you’re interested in helping to make autonomous driving a reality, let’s chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with software developers, systems engineers, and hardware teams to develop sensor specifications based on perception and system requirements
- Work with our internal and external partners and suppliers to evaluate and develop leading edge LiDAR sensors
- Develop processes and tools to evaluate and characterize sensors and improve fleet performance and reliability
- Coordinate sensor integration efforts including component placement, mechanical, electrical and software integration
- Team up with fleet teams to identify, troubleshoot and root cause issues and work with developers and suppliers to find solutions
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Automotive, Industrial, or similar Engineering
- Experience in an industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components and an understanding of how they interact in a complex electromechanical system
- Able to ramp up quickly on numerous new technical areas
- Exceptional analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Strong communication skills
- Programming skills for purposes of automated testing and data processing, i.e. scripting, Python, Matlab, knowledge of APIs, and data security
- Experience in automotive, sensors, or calibration, especially LiDAR
- Experience with CV algorithms and CNN based approaches for detection and classification tasks
- Experience in the automotive industry
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.