We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Our Perception engineering group at Cruise develops deep learning based approaches for 3D object detection, tracking, semantic segmentation, classification and understanding all the objects around a vehicle. Enabling our vehicles to understand the world is critical to our mission and ability to deploy at scale. Our fleet of vehicles provides robust data sets that you can leverage to prototype radically new models and push novel solutions into production.
The Engineering Manager will lead the growth and organization of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, work with other Engineering Managers and Technical Leads on design decisions and code review, and communicate team status and objectives with senior management across Cruise.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead and grow a team of engineers within the Cruise AI self-driving organization
- Ensure your high-functioning and output team delivers quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Work with teams across Cruise to foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
- Invest heavily in recruiting, identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
What you must have:
- Prior experience managing, leading, and growing teams
- Proven track record of shipping production-quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Previous (4+ years) experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, Machine Learning environments
- Experience managing a team and initiatives in a mission-critical and fast-paced Machine Learning engineering organization
- Track record of driving ML research projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, experimentation, iteration, and finally publication or productization
- Experience developing deep learning and novel computer vision solutions
- Msc or Phd in Computer Vision, machine learning or a related field.
- Experience writing Python and/or C++ in a production environment
- Worked on high-speed feedback loops
- Experience in code optimization or high-performance computing
- Strategic, collaborative and execution-focused
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.