We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data up the software stack. As a Senior Software Engineer you’ll be responsible for designing, documenting, and implementing software in C++ and Python on Linux-based systems to support GM and our contract manufacturers. Your work will be critical to produce and manufacture the components and the vehicle itself.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop software in C++ and Python to enable hardware development and factory validation of sensors and custom hardware on the vehicle.
- Improve and deliver reliable software through requirements generation, continuous integration, automated testing, issue tracking, and code reviews
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams and mentor other developers
- Deliver complex projects through incremental development
- Support suppliers through validation efforts, debugging code and assisting with triaging failures as needed.
What you must have:
- 10+ years of experience writing software for production hardware
- Experience with C++11 or later
- Experience with Python
- Knowledge of and experience applying software best practices
- Proven ability to work with internal and external customers to support validation efforts.
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies including Ethernet, WiFi and wireless sensor networks
- Knowledge about firmware security, secure communication, TLS and encryption/decryption
- Experience applying and mentoring team members on software best practices
- Capable of influencing others and building consensus even over contentious technical debates
- Experience developing on and for embedded Linux / POSIX systems.
- Demonstrated experience building, testing, and shipping production software.
- Experience with safety critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive).
- Experience with networking.
- Experience with ROS or other robotics middleware platforms.
- Experience with other languages: C, Python, Bash, Go.
- Experience with QNX, VxWorks, or similar.
- Experience supporting hardware validation efforts.
- Experience with supporting manufacturing efforts in high volume.
- Experience supporting technology deployed to the field (consumer, industrial, or other).
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.