We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Embedded OS team is dedicated to providing a high-performance platform for Cruise’s next generation of embedded devices. As a Staff Embedded Linux Software Engineer, you will lead the design, documentation and implementation of robust low level device firmware, bootloaders, kernel and application development environments, and APIs across a wide variety of devices and systems! We work to enable Cruise to build a state-of-the-art autonomy platform, including sensors, controllers, and embedded compute platforms.
What you'll be doing:
Staff Engineers at Cruise work across teams to define system level architecture and novel strategies for implementation. This includes initiating projects with sophisticated architecture and breaking it down to the proper logical components so others can utilize it efficiently! Our goal is to improve and deliver reliable software through requirements generation, continuous integration, automated testing, tracking issues, and code reviews. Staff Engineers also mentor others in software and design standards and act as role models for the team.
What you should have:
- 10+ years of experience writing production-quality software
- Board bring-up and bootloader experience for x86 or ARM Cortex-A based systems
- Writing kernel drivers for: networking, I/O, storage or high-performance data movement
- Experience with one or more of the following: Buildroot, Yocto, OpenEmbedded, OpenWRT
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies including Ethernet, WiFi and wireless sensor networks
- Knowledge about firmware security, secure communication, TLS and encryption/decryption
- Capable of influencing others and building consensus even over contentious technical debates
- Experience with safety critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive)
- Experience with ROS or other robotics middleware platforms
- Experience working with GPUs or other hardware accelerators, Linux kernel scheduling, Distributed systems, Multi-node NUMA or AMP systems, PCIe-based devices, ACPI or DeviceTree, Secure boot
- QNX, VxWorks, or similar
- GRUB, UEFI, U-Boot, or similar
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.