We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data into the software stack. We are looking for a talented Senior Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineering teams in a fast-paced environment focused on our Embedded OS and FPGA / SoC teams. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing software day-to-day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead and grow a team of first line engineering managers within the Embedded Systems team
- Ensure teams deliver high quality production code that is safe, well architected, fast, reliable, and testable.
- Work with Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to set and communicate technical direction and product strategies while anticipating strategic and scaling challenges.
- Work with teams across Cruise to foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Work with your team, Technical Project Managers and external stakeholders to build, prioritize and execute against an engineering roadmap
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
What you must have:
- 7+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support production systems
- 10+ years experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments
- Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills
- Experience managing multiple teams and initiatives in a mission-critical and fast-paced engineering organization
- Successfully grown software engineering teams by growing engineering managers and driving external leadership recruiting
- Experience building or managing performance and safety critical systems or similar
- Experience delivering complex, distributed systems
- Experience with DO-178, ISO-26262, or IEC-62304
- Experience working with Embedded Linux on a multiple platforms
- Experience working with FPGAs or novel silicon platforms
- Exposure to verifying and validating safety critical software and systems
- Strategic, collaborative, and execution-focused
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.