We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
What you'll be doing:
As a Staff Applied Research Scientist - Computer Vision, you drive the research projects that address the everyday challenges that happen on urban roads, ones that do not have standard solutions available. On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Formulate problems
- Propose, prototype, evaluate, and iterate solutions
- Support productizing and deploying solutions to robot cars
- Initiate and lead new projects
- Considered one of the technical leaders of the department who guides current and future technology choices
- Have a deep understanding of the business and operational impact for different technology tradeoffs, and able to balance effectively based on company’s need
- Enable others engineers on the team to be more effective through design and code that is easy to extend and contribute into
- Capable of influencing others and building consensus even over contentious technical debates
What you must have:
- PhD / MS degree in computer vision, machine learning or a related field with multiple research publications in top conferences or journals; alternatively equivalent years of industry experience solving CV problems which do not have readily-available solutions
- Expertise in at least one of these specific areas: 2D/3D object detection, semantic / instance segmentation, fine-grained attribute understanding, human pose / gesture recognition, image sequence / semantics understanding, image embedding, visual/LIDAR-based tracking, multi-object tracking, and vision-based behavior prediction
- Track record of driving ML research projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, experimentation, iteration, and finally publication or productization
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- PhD in machine learning, computer vision, or robotics vision
- Experience using deep-learning frameworks, e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc
- Experience in deploying perception algorithms and models into real-world environments
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.