We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us. Cruise is looking for a Senior Sensor Validation Engineer to contribute to our world-class sensor team that enables our autonomous cars to safely drive in the world around them. The ideal candidate would have experience with the testing and analysis of electro-optical systems.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead design verification and validation efforts for optical sensors, such as cameras and LiDARs.
- Develop, improve, and sustain sensor testing processes through continuous integration and automated testing.
- Evaluate and develop new and novel optoelectronic sensor technologies and assess their impact on system performance.
- Analyze and visualize optical sensor data using scientific programming languages following software development best practices
- Develop and contribute to common software tools for machine interface, test automation, data collection, data analysis, etc.
- Help build state-of-the-art optical test labs
- Develop lab best practices and train technicians and other engineers.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BA, MS or PhD in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or another related field
- 5+ years of industry experience in optical sensors, preferably with a focus on testing and validation
- 5+ years experience using Python/Matlab (or other similar scientific programming language) to perform data processing and analytics
- Experience interfacing with 3rd party equipment/devices using Python or C++
- Experience in field testing of sensors
- Comfortable working in an optical lab environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient working in Linux command line environment
- Production code development experience
- Pandas experience
- Statistical analysis experience
- Experience using Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) or equivalent for cloud processing
- Experience with Github, JIRA, Confluence, and/or SmartSheets
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.