We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a team that will design, implement and maintain our on-car highly performant perception pipeline in a way that supports high velocity ML model experimentation and integration, as well as supports sensor hardware experimentation and iteration in the perception pipeline.
You and your team will lead Cruise through complex re-architecting and refinement of our perception pipeline, leveraging state of the art runtime optimization, an abundance of data and metrics for data-informed decision making, and industry leading simulation. The ability to effectively collaborate with related teams in those areas will be key to your success.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
- Responsible for growing and mentoring a team of software engineers
- Work with technical lead(s) to set out the vision and direction of the team, to plan out a team roadmap, while remaining agile to day-to-day developments.
- Work with Engineering Directors and Technical Project Managers to allocate team members to sprints
- Support your team in designing, implementing and maintaining a highly performant perception pipeline
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture
- Drive software engineering best practices
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent in industry experience
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- 2+ years management experience with an engineering team
- Production experience as a software developer in C++11 or newer
- Understanding of machine learning concepts
- Ability to understand complex technical systems
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills
- Skilled in cross-functional team communication, scrum, and agile techniques
- Experience in managing or developing software for robotic applications
- Experience with sensors such as lidar, camera, and radar
- Experience with perception pipelines for such sensors
- Experience with runtime optimization and software development for runtime-critical systems on Linux
- Experience working with simulated sensor data
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.