We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Government Affairs team works closely with civic leaders at all levels of government (local, state, federal, and international) to develop public policy solutions for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. As a well-seasoned, collaborative, and highly respected team, we work to engage and inform policymakers, public safety officials, community leaders, academia, and the general public about self-driving technology and its enormous potential benefits to society. Our team serves as the primary liaison and external-facing entity at Cruise, representing the company at anything from local neighborhood associations to international governing bodies.
Cruise is looking for a self-starting, collaborative, and detail-oriented Public Affairs Manager to join our rapidly-growing Government Affairs team. In this role, you will serve as the company’s key representative in CA, with a particular emphasis on San Francisco, to help introduce our self-driving vehicles to key audiences in the State and city. You will build, cultivate and leverage relationships with key stakeholders and influencers, and mobilize communities in support of Cruise objectives. This position is ideal for someone with relevant political or issue advocacy experience who thrives in a fast-paced and ever changing environment. This person will report to the Director of Public Affairs.
What you'll be doing:
- Outreach, relationship cultivation and education of identified stakeholders, coalitions, and strategic partners in San Francisco and other relevant CA markets
- Identify opportunities as well as challenges that may require Cruise involvement
- Mapping and tracking of stakeholders and influencers (think tanks, universities, scholars, commentators, trade associations, coalitions, neighborhood groups, etc.) relevant to the business
- Create and inform public narratives around self-driving vehicles and promote value propositions that appeal to elected officials and community stakeholders
- Assist in developing and implementing comprehensive, results-driven public policy campaigns supporting broader Government Affairs objectives
- Develop written products such as presentations, blog posts, op-eds or other collateral for use with external audiences;
- Identify and capture opportunities to position Cruise as a policy thought leader;
- Project management and coordination of cross-functional teams internally
- Represent Cruise publicly at local events, with community groups, on expert panels, and at conferences as appropriate and required
What you must have:
- 5+ years of relevant campaign, public policy, government/public affairs or political communications experience
- Background in advocating for a candidate, cause, or issue.
- Political campaign experience a significant plus
- Demonstrated experience in project management, leading initiatives that require collaborating across internal and external teams
- Proven experience recruiting, developing, and leveraging third party coalitions with diverse interests
- Skilled writer with experience distilling complex technical, regulatory, and legislative subject matter into compelling and persuasive content
- Enjoys a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment with the ability to meet tight deadlines, pivot, exercise good judgement and maintain confidentiality
- Emerging technology and transportation enthusiast; prior industry experience is a bonus
- Team player with a collaborative attitude
- Eagerness to learn
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.