We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Director, Corporate Communications, reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, will design a world class communications strategy around Cruise’s corporate narrative, thought leadership, executive visibility, and crisis communications. The ideal candidate will also attract and develop a team to help our employees, prospects, investors, users, communities, and regulators appreciate our mission, our values, and the promise of our brand. The work falls into two major buckets:
- Corporate narrative, thought leadership and executive visibility: Help shape public perception of Cruise with a specific focus on corporate stakeholders. This includes managing external communications for senior executives, our nascent investor relations efforts and making the most of our partnerships ranging from NGOs, regulators and communities.
- Crisis communications: Create the strategies, partnerships, and protocols that will help protect our brand’s reputation. Managing our corporate reputation will include communicating our values and beliefs as a brand in key moments of truth. We will very likely face situations where our cars are involved in human death or injury and key questions will be asked about approach to user data and human right to privacy. As our CEO Dan Ammann has said, our mission is as much of a trust race as it is a technology race. The winning candidate will be someone who deeply understands the dynamics of trust in a complex, regulated and ever-changing category.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Develop a compelling and consistent communications strategy across a wide variety of audiences to make Cruise synonymous with the future of self driving transportation.
- Attract and develop a world class team that grows as we grow.
- Leverage close relationships with journalists and editors in relevant national, tech, business, consumer, and local press to maximize earned influence with our key audiences.
- Select and manage any and all PR agency relationships.
- Be a great partner to our marketing, government relations, people ops, and product teams to drive company narratives.
- Define the role of executive communications in service to our company communication objectives.
- Develop strategy and clear plans to develop content and public presence for our leaders to achieve company communication goals.
- Lead thinking and develop outstanding execution plans that enable us to manage crisis communications with excellence.
- Be masterful at developing storylines from company innovation that attract interest from the press and media.
- Be an effective working partner with Communications teams at General Motors, Honda, and Softbank.
We will measure success in this role as follows:
- Is our corporate reputation stronger at the end of year than beginning? If we faced a crisis, were we well enough prepared to minimize long term damage to our reputation?
- Brand trust in San Francisco has increased significantly versus the previous year.
- Sentiment with investor stakeholders is stronger than the previous year.
- Personal team feedback in employee engagement surveys is on par with our other senior leaders.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 10 + years of experience in a senior management role in a corporate environment.
- Incredible leadership skills: You must be world class in your ability to create vision, enroll others, bring energy to an organization, remove roadblocks, and execute with excellence.
- Ability to attract, hire, and develop a world class diverse team and agency: A great coach and teacher is valued.
- Strategic communication skills: Right leader will understand how to define an audience, develop simple but persuasive messages, and have a clear vision on the most effective channels and forms of communication to achieve the right business objectives.
- Ability to work cross functionally: You must be a great partner to many functions and be comfortable enrolling others, seeking input, and juggling competing demands.
- Can navigate a rapidly scaling company that is transitioning from a startup to a global brand quickly.
- Strong strategic planning skills with an ability to quantify your ability to drive impact: Right candidate is comfortable driving outcomes and impact and can articulate how they add quantifiable value in an organization.
- Has deep interest in technology: Can translate technical innovation into relevant human stories.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Business or other relevant field.
- Track record of leading and executing a comprehensive strategic communications program.
- Experience working at the C-Suite level with an ability to communicate effectively.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.