We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
As a member of Cruise’s Machine Learning Accelerators (MLA) Team, you will help build the infrastructure for developing and maintaining a high-performant and reliable Autonomous Vehicle software. You will collaborate with other engineers to build systems, frameworks/libraries and automated processes to understand and solve performance critical issues, in a real-time safety-critical system. Specifically, this team is responsible for developing, delivering and maintaining low-level APIs and libraries of acceleration kernels optimized for MLAs. These library kernels are designed to be leveraged by application software (e.g., perception) to perform common sensor processing, math, data movement and MLA interfacing functions, with high performance and low runtime variation criteria in mind. The libraries will also provide cross-targetability to multiple MLAs (e.g., GPUs, DSPs, SIMD extensions, custom chips, etc).
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Design, develop and productionize library solutions and kernels that are reusable, retargetable, performance portable, and deterministic (minimum runtime variance)
- Design, develop and productionize tools and methods for debugging and improving runtime performance of different AV software components and sub-systems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, to diagnose performance bottlenecks and build more efficient, reliable, and scalable software stack
- Analyze the software architecture and help engineering teams convert algorithmic bottlenecks into specific software optimizations
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Solid background in working with data parallel accelerators (e.g. GPUs, SIMD extensions, etc) and languages (e.g. CUDA, OpenCL)
- Solid understanding of how to design high-performant software components
- Strong system fundamentals and coding abilities (C++)
- Strong background in computer architecture and operating systems
- Experience developing data- and thread-level parallel programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience developing in a Linux environment
- MS or PhD in CS, or related technical field
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages
- Experience with real-time operating systems or software design
- Experience with designing software applications for safety critical systems
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.