We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreams and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for a deep learning compiler engineer to build the compiler and software tool chain for deploying machine learning models on to a variety of ML hardware accelerators. In this position, you will contribute, develop and enhance Cruise’s internal ML compiler infrastructure for high-performance and retargetability possibly by leveraging open-source technology like LLVM, TVM and XLA.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements at the application level while engaging with AV hardware teams to understand the target hardware platform and its constraints.
If you're interested in optimizing machine learning inference on different hardware accelerators, and want to test your skills with real-world (and practical) applications in the autonomous vehicle domain, let's chat!
- Design, implement and test compiler features and capabilities related to IR infrastructure and compiler passes
- Develop graph compiler optimizations like operator fusion, layout optimization, etc that are customized to each of the different ML accelerators in the system
- Integrate open-source and vendor compiler technology in to Cruise’s internal compiler infrastructure
- Build performance tooling to evaluate, understand and improve ML performance on different accelerators
- Collaborate with cross functional agile teams of AV engineers to guide the direction of inferencing and provide requirements and feature requests for hardware vendors
- Closely follow industry and academic developments in the ML compiler domain and provide performance guidelines and best practices for other ML engineers
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in the field of compiler design and 2+ years of experience with deep learning
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow, etc) and software stack (e.g., TensorRT, TVM, etc)
- Experience with ML accelerators and hardware architecture
- Strong expertise in writing production quality C++ code
- Comfortable and experienced in software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Familiarity with parallelization techniques for ML acceleration
- MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- GPU programming (CUDA) and familiarity with deep learning stack (e.g., cuDNN, cuBLAS)
- SIMD programming (avx2, neon)
- Experience with open-source deep learning stacks (TVM, XLA, etc)
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.