We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for a deep learning compiler engineer to build the compiler and software tool chain for deploying machine learning models on to a variety of ML hardware accelerators. In this position, you will contribute, develop and enhance Cruise’s internal ML compiler infrastructure for high-performance and retargetability possibly by using open-source technology like LLVM, TVM and XLA.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements at the application level while engaging with AV hardware teams to understand the target hardware platform and its constraints.
If you're interested in optimizing machine learning inference on different hardware accelerators, and want to test your skills with real-world (and practical) applications in the autonomous vehicle domain.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, implement and test compiler features and capabilities related to IR infrastructure and compiler passes
- Develop graph compiler optimizations like operator fusion, layout optimization, etc that are customized to each of the different ML accelerators in the system
- Integrate open-source and vendor compiler technology in to Cruise’s internal compiler infrastructure
- Build performance tooling to evaluate, understand and improve ML performance on different accelerators
- Collaborate with multi-functional agile teams of AV engineers to guide the direction of inferencing and provide requirements and feature requests for hardware vendors
- Closely follow industry and academic developments in the ML compiler domain and provide performance guidelines and standard methodologies for other ML engineers
What you must have:
- 5+ years of experience in the field of compiler design and 2+ years of experience with deep learning
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow, etc) and software stack (e.g., TensorRT, TVM, etc)
- Experience with ML accelerators and hardware architecture
- Strong expertise in writing production quality C++ code
- Comfortable and experienced in software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Familiarity with parallelization techniques for ML acceleration
- MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- GPU programming (CUDA) and familiarity with deep learning stack (e.g., cuDNN, cuBLAS)
- SIMD programming (avx2, neon)
- Experience with open-source deep learning stacks (TVM, XLA, etc)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.