We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
Cruise is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to act as the technical authority for all Computer Vision (CV) initiatives. This dedicated CV expert will work closely with our sensor hardware and detection software teams to deliver step change improvement in our CV capabilities, thereby enabling fleet domain expansion and the streamlining of our sensor and software architecture.
If this sounds interesting to you, let's chat!
Principal Software Engineer - Computer Vision
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Setting the R&D agenda for the Cruise CV team
- Formulating problems that target Cruise’s top CV opportunities
- Guiding our CV research scientists and ML engineers as they propose, prototype, evaluate, and iterate solutions
- Leading the productizing and deploying of solutions to robot cars
- Working with hardware teams to guide sensor selection and sensor suite architecture in support of the CV stack, both for current and future vehicle generations.
- Recruiting top CV talent to Cruise
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- PhD in computer vision, machine learning or a related field with multiple research publications in top conferences or journals; alternatively 8+ years of industry experience solving CV problems which do not have readily-available solutions
- Expertise in more than one of these areas: 2D/3D object detection, semantic / instance segmentation, fine-grained attribute understanding, human pose / gesture recognition, image sequence / semantics understanding, image embedding, visual/LIDAR-based tracking, multi-object tracking, and vision-based behavior prediction
- Track record of driving ML research projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, experimentation, iteration, and finally publication or productization
- Expertise using deep-learning frameworks, e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc
- Expertise in deploying perception algorithms and models into real-world environments
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.