Optical Engineer - LiDARs
We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software and hardware to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for an Optical Engineer to help us develop resonator-based frequency-modulated continuous-wave (FMCW) LiDARs. In this role, you will carry out end-to-end analysis and hands-on laboratory development of coherent sensing optical devices, develop alignment of complex optical beam trains and requirements-driven alignment procedures. You will also own the resonator development process and optimization of the FMCW LiDARs.
If you’re interested in helping to make autonomous driving a reality, let’s chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Own the process for assembly and characterization of electro-optic resonator modules for FMCW LiDARs
- Lead continuous process improvements in assembly, performance, optical tolerance, reliability, cost-down and quality control of electrooptic resonator-based FMCW LiDAR laser modules for automotive sensing
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure timely, effective implementation of process improvements and new developments
- Develop and improve alignment procedure for LiDAR optical engine to maximize overall throughput
- Analyze and improve performance in LiDAR optical train
- Evaluate new and existing technologies and their impact on LiDAR performance
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS/MS in engineering, physics, or a related field - PhD preferred
- Experience in fiber optics and free-space optics
- Experience in optical resonators with strong preference for expertise in whispering-gallery mode (WGM) resonators
- Experience in development of interferometric detection of very weak signals
- Experience with alignment of complex optical beam trains including development of requirements-driven alignment procedures
- Experience in electro-optical measurements
- Experience in opto-mechanical design
- Analytical and simulation skills in analysis of optical resonators
- Experience in physical optics calculations and software - e.g Code V, Zemax
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.