We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The AV Behavioral Diagnosis Team is responsible for doing the first technical analysis of all AV behavioral issues on the road. They are responsible for translating anecdotal reports or high level metrics into something actionable by engineering and Technical Product Managers. This requires a broad knowledge of the entire system and the technical depth to add value to engineering. We are looking for someone who knows how to lead this highly effective team and help them to deliver on this mission. This person needs to be just as comfortable talking about the planning robotic subsystem as they are with how the metrics are calculated.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Effectively drive engineering by distilling complex analysis into actionable reports
- Manage and improve field issue analysis for all AV behavioral reports
- Scale analysis coverage and quality with automation, tooling and engineering partnerships
- Build systems to continuously improve the skill set and AV knowledge of the team
- Align priorities with many cross functional stakeholders (TPMs, Engineering, Legal, Data Science, Data analytics, Ground Truth and Executive Leadership)
- Effectively present data driven analysis to executive leadership
- Work with Engineering Director(s) and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Foster a healthy, collaborative culture and high-output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 4+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support scalable production systems.
- Experience performing risk assessment and issue prioritization of complex systems
- Experience defining process automation and scaling strategies and driving its execution.
- Self motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve.
- BS or MS in Engineering or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills.
- Mix of hands-on skills and management experience in mission-critical product development environments
- Strong cross functional communication, collaboration and stakeholder management
- Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming an expert in your domain
- Experience building test plans and test cases
- Experience building teams from the ground up.
- Experience with Python, SQL or reading C++.
- Experience root causing robotics failures
- Strong analytics background and able to drive data driven decisions
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.