We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
The Simulation group delivers products that accelerate our autonomous vehicle development, testing, and deployment through specialized frameworks and tools. As a software engineer on the Simulation Telemetry and Analytics team, you will build products and tools to evaluate and report on Cruise’s different Simulation frameworks and tools. You will be responsible for ensuring the full lifecycle of investigating and understanding our platforms: determining appropriate metrics and methodologies, building data pipelines to measure the accuracy and precisions of different simulation frameworks, tracking the evolution of the AVs performance within Simulation, and deploying tools for clear and accurate reporting to stakeholders and customers.
What you'll be doing:
- Research and implement tools to track appropriate metrics to ensure our simulations reflect realistic real-world scenarios and to help diagnose missing functionality
- Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure we are tracking meaningful and valuable metrics
- Create and improve data pipelines for evaluating simulated behaviors against real world observation data
- Work closely with autonomous vehicle engineering to enable rapid development and model feedback
- Maintain a high technical standard for code quality on the team, through architectural design and code reviews
What you must have:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Data Science, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years excellent Python coding abilities, with strong system fundamentals and a focus on unit testing
- 5+ years experience working on data engineering, analytics, and/or experimentation design
- 3+ years experience with modern data processing pipelines and technologies (i.e. Beam, Spark, Hadoop, Airflow)
- Experience using at least one column oriented database/data warehouse (i.e. BigQuery, RedShift)
- Familiarity with observability systems and best practices for Metrics, Logging, and Tracing
- Familiarity with dashboarding systems for displaying and exploring metrics over time (i.e. Looker, Tableau, Kibana)
- Clear track record of effective collaboration with customers and continuous delivery of quality results. Comfortable collaborating with data scientists, machine learning engineers, and platform teams
- Possess a creative problem solving and continuous improvement mindset which leaves everything you touch better that it was before
- Passion for safe, fully-electric, self-driving technology and its impact on the world
- Experience in experimental computational simulation, especially vehicle simulation software and/or machine learning driven models
- Designing software applications for safety critical systems
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.