We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Simulation group delivers products that accelerate our autonomous vehicle development, testing, and deployment through specialized frameworks and tools. As a Senior Engineering Manager on this team, you will lead teams in building advanced simulations at scale and creating powerful analysis frameworks to simulate thousands of scenarios, rapidly inform engineers how a software or hardware change affects vehicle behavior, and identify which areas need focus.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Hire, mentor, and motivate exceptional teams of engineers responsible for designing, developing, and supporting products for testing autonomous vehicle software via simulation
- Collaborate with your teams, product partners, technical leadership, QA, and internal stakeholders to plan and execute engineering roadmaps and deliver products on time
- Continuously and transparently track and report your teams’ progress to partner teams, stakeholders, and senior leadership.
- Work with Cruise technical leadership to set and propagate best-in-class engineering development and management practices within your teams
- Work side-by-side with engineering leadership and QA to set and follow high quality testing procedures and processes
- Define and measure the output goals and KPIs your teams will use to measure success
- Be a culture leader within Cruise, exemplifying our values and maintaining sharp focus on our mission
- Possess a creative problem solving and continuous improvement mindset which leaves everything you touch better that it was before
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Passion for safe, fully-electric, self-driving technology and its upcoming impact on the world
- Ability to lead with cross-functional communication and collaboration skills
- 2+ years experience managing 2+ engineering teams of ~ 3 to 8 engineers
- 3+ years of experience as a hiring manager, recruiting and retaining the best talent
- 5+ years of industry experience in managing teams who build and support scalable, cloud-based production systems
- 10+ years experience in integrated software engineering, 3D video game engineering, robotics, or similar
- Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming an expert in your domain
- Proven success in detail-oriented test plan design and execution
- Clear track record of effective collaboration with customers and continuous delivery of quality results
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, or equivalent experience
- Prior simulation experience, especially an understanding of autonomous vehicle sensor simulation
- Experience with fast-growth companies and recruiting/retaining the best talent
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.