We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Privacy Engineering’s mission is to make Cruise the industry model for consumer privacy through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, policy, and transparent communications. We are seeking a Privacy Engineer with experience in assessing features for privacy and mitigating their risk, building privacy enhancing infrastructure, and creative problem solving to join our Privacy Engineering effort. We are focusing on building services that give our users choice around their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business. You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen.
- Reviewing products, features, and projects for privacy impact and collaborating with teams to develop privacy mitigations at all levels of the stack.
- Working with teams across Cruise to ensure that we are compliant with privacy laws and regulations from a technical perspective.
- Implement privacy protections -- including data discovery, authentication, logging, auditing, and alerting -- on existing systems.
- Deliver on privacy enhancing infrastructure that few others can, either by your own heavy lifting or the ability to orchestrate large group efforts.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest architectural advancements, understanding how architecture impacts privacy and security.
- Collaboration within and outside the security organization to achieve privacy.
- Excited about privacy and to be on the bleeding edge of privacy problems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a similar technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 3 years of experience in a related role and experience with concepts and practices such as: identifying privacy risks in products and developing robust mitigations; data governance; and creating novel solutions to regulatory requirements
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Go or Python
- Implementation experience in one or more of the following areas: data discovery, authentication, logging, auditing, or alerting
- Code maintenance and review experience in one or more general purpose languages
- Understanding of technical privacy issues (e.g., cookie management, encryption, geolocation, machine learning, IoT privacy and security challenges), and experience with the software development lifecycle
- Patience and negotiation skills with a track record of achieving good user outcomes
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across disciplines (e.g. engineering, legal, policy)
- Familiarity with privacy laws, regulations, standards, and best practices such as CCPA, GDPR, and ISO 27701.
- Candidates must have the ability to develop work with minimal supervision, maintain and report against a work plan, provide updates and status reports, given scope and objectives.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.