We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people with the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is co-developing a Shared Autonomous vehicle or SAV with GM and Honda. As a Senior Vehicle Engineer, you will be responsible for the hardware development of special variants to this base SAV as well as strategic base SAV development activities. This role requires you to work cross-functionally with Product, Operations and Design, reporting to our Vehicle Engineering lead.
An ideal candidate would have experience in developing electro-mechanical hardware systems, familiar with specifying and developing to automotive standards, working cross functionally across departments and thrives with a little ambiguity.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work cross-functionally with the broader Cruise, GM and Honda teams on strategic development activities on the base SAV.
- Develop and own requirements and specifications for these variants keeping in mind asks that the Product, Fleet Operations and Business teams have, vehicle architecture of the base SAV, regulatory requirements, cost and production timelines. Drive the development of these variants.
- Manage vendor outreach, vetting, assistance with contract development, development of scopes of work and testing plans. This would include travel to vendor sites as well.
- Manage day-to-day interactions, working cross functionally with Program Managers and Systems Engineering Leads to drive projects forward. Managing external suppliers, contract manufacturers and Cruise stakeholders as applicable.
- Provide frequent, timely, and targeted updates to Cruise customers and leadership on program progress relevant to vehicle development activities.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- 4+ years of Automotive or Industrial design experience
- Strong CAD (SolidWorks) capabilities
- Ability to be self-directed, work across domains and respond effectively in case of program ambiguities.
- Ability to understand complex technical systems and trade-offs for system cost versus functionality
- Experience with vehicle sub-system development/validation and managing suppliers. Ability to vet, manage and work with component or sub-system suppliers.
- Strong technical and nontechnical communication skills.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Business and Product teams
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Experience working on self driving vehicles, AV integration with OEMs, cargo delivery or mobility solutions as aftermarket add-ons to existing vehicle platforms
- Experience with working on a product from concept to production
- Engineering/Design consulting
- CAE and structural analysis skills
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.