We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Legal Organization:
Cruise is creating a new-to-the-world service and a world-changing category of autonomous vehicle mobility. On the legal side, the rules are being written now, and we’re the team charged with helping guide the company on legal and risk considerations as we unlock the future. We’re a collegial group in which every role matters, and you’ll have an impact on high stakes decisions, working with technical and development teams solving some of the hardest engineering challenges of our generation. This position will report to our Associate General Counsel, Litigation, Employment & Information Governance.
About the role:
Cruise is seeking a talented and self-motivated Senior Counsel to join the Litigation, Employment & Information Governance team in its San Francisco office. In this role, you will develop and provide pragmatic, expert legal advice on a wide variety of issues. You will be a key collaborator, problem solver, and thought partner for various business and engineering teams at Cruise. If you are a strategic, forward-looking, litigation pro looking for a unique challenge, we look forward to hearing from you.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Successfully resolve litigation and pre-litigation claims and disputes involving commercial and intellectual property matters, including managing outside counsel, assessing exposure, setting strategy, and overseeing discovery.
- Integrate deeply with business and engineering teams to achieve a thorough understanding of Cruise’s technology to manage and mitigate legal exposure; troubleshoot business practices that create unnecessary legal exposure, proactively review existing procedures, and recommend improvements.
- Perform internal investigations; support investigations performed by the Compliance and Employee Relations teams.
- Drive improvements across Cruise designed to promote the protection of Cruise trade secrets; partner with other teams to promote compliance with Records Retention Schedules and improve eDiscovery preparedness.
- Advise and train on internal and external communications.
- Help drive preparations for liability at scale (financing risk, managing claims, and influencing the development of liability regimes).
- Participate actively in Litigation team management, including budgeting, forecasting, managing outside counsel, and preparing reports to senior management.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Graduate of an accredited law school with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Active member of a state bar in good standing.
- Recent and substantial hands-on experience managing litigation matters in state and federal courts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, impeccable integrity, good judgment, strong analytical skills, and a keen sense of humor.
- Collaborative by nature and able to build strong partnerships, with a responsive, service-oriented attitude.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to manage a diverse and complex workload.
- Flexibility for occasional travel.
- Strategic thinker with verifiable history of communicating sound and practical advice to business clients.
- Ability to work autonomously, drive results, and set priorities.
- In-house experience
- Tech experience
- Working knowledge of autonomous vehicle technology and/or conventional automotive subsystems
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch and snacks
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.