We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
We are looking for a talented Senior Backend Engineer to build distributed and fault tolerant services to connect autonomous vehicles to human experts. In this role you will optimize our backend for low latency and real-time communication with autonomous vehicles. Essentially, you’ll build the computing technologies that will enable Cruise to remotely maneuver it’s autonomous vehicles.
The Remote Assistance system leverages human intuition to support autonomous vehicles in challenging situations. We build technology that allows humans to assist the AV's algorithms by suggesting a possible path and modifying constraints. The Remote Assistance Team is a full-stack team comprised of frontend, backend and AV engineers that work closely with other teams at Cruise to ensure our cars are driving safely and efficiently.
What you'll be doing:
- Design and implement scalable backend architectures to remotely control autonomous vehicles
- Build distributed and fault tolerant services to connect autonomous vehicles to human experts
- Optimize our backend for low latency and real-time communication with autonomous vehicles
- Drive best practices for backend deployment, monitoring, and traceability
What you must have:
- 3+ years experience building, deploying, and monitoring scalable backends.
- Experience in programming in a modern language like Golang, Java or C++.
- Experience managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or other orchestration software.
- Experience with AWS, or other cloud infrastructure providers.
- Strong operating systems and networking knowledge.
- Experience working with REST APIs, GRPC and websockets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world.
- Attention to detail and a passion for quality.
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.