We're Cruise, the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Senior Backend Engineer to build distributed and fault tolerant services to connect autonomous vehicles to human experts. In this role you will optimize our backend for low latency and real-time communication with autonomous vehicles. Essentially, you’ll build the computing technologies that will enable Cruise to remotely maneuver it’s autonomous vehicles.
The Remote Assistance system leverages human intuition to support autonomous vehicles in challenging situations. We build technology that allows humans to assist the AV's algorithms by suggesting a possible path and modifying constraints. The Remote Assistance Team is a full-stack team comprised of frontend, backend and AV engineers that work closely with other teams at Cruise to ensure our cars are driving safely and efficiently.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Design and implement scalable backend architectures to remotely control autonomous vehicles
- Build distributed and fault tolerant services to connect autonomous vehicles to human experts
- Optimize our backend for low latency and real-time communication with autonomous vehicles
- Drive best practices for backend deployment, monitoring, and traceability
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 3+ years experience building, deploying, and monitoring scalable backends.
- Experience in programming in a modern language like Golang, Java or C++.
- Experience managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or other orchestration software.
- Experience with AWS, or other cloud infrastructure providers.
- Strong operating systems and networking knowledge.
- Experience working with REST APIs, GRPC and websockets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world.
- Attention to detail and a passion for quality.
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.