We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreams and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The AV software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to a fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for ML optimization engineers to help us invest in tools to optimize deep learning models for efficient inference. These optimizations are designed to reduce latency, improve throughput, reduce memory footprint without sacrificing model accuracy. Such techniques may include (but is not limited to) model quantization, model compression and graph manipulation.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements while working with AV hardware to understand optimization opportunities that are specific to the target hardware platform and its constraints. If you are interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning optimization problems in the industry, then chat with us!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Research, prototype and survey different model optimization techniques (e.g., compression, quantization) and algorithms that are the current state-of-art.
- Develop proof-of-concepts of customized optimizations that demonstrate the benefit of your optimizations on real-world models using real-world datasets.
- Integrate the optimization techniques into the Cruise’s machine learning platform and infrastructure.
- Test and deploy the techniques across a number of workflows targeted at different hardware platforms.
- Propensity to build and deploy production software at the highest levels of quality and performance
- Collaborate with cross functional agile teams of AV engineers
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- MS, or higher degree in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- 5+ years of experience in the field of machine learning and deep learning
- Strong expertise with ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch etc.
- Strong programming skills in Python or C++
- Comfortable and experienced in software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Experience with deep learning software stacks (e.g., TensorRT, TVM, nGraph, ARM NN, etc)
- GPU programming using CUDA and/or OpenCL and associated acceleration libraries (BLAS, DNN, etc)
- Experience in deploying inference solutions into real-world environments
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.