We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Product team is responsible for bringing autonomous vehicles to market. They own Cruise Anywhere, the autonomous ridesharing service (available to Cruise employees), as well as the dispatching and management tools needed to operate a driverless fleet.
The In-Car Experience team is responsible for defining and building the in-car experience for a driverless car. We provide interaction and situational awareness to our passengers to make them feel comfortable and safe about the driverless car’s behavior. We operate under a rapid product development process where we incorporate new ideas and designs, gather feedback, and quickly iterate to improve our product.
By joining the In-Car Experience team at Cruise you will get the opportunity to work on many unique problems and technologies on the forefront of Android. Our applications are written in 100% Kotlin, we practice modern design patterns, and leverage cutting edge libraries, such as Android Architecture Components, to keep our applications performant and testable.
On top of getting to work with the latest technologies, you will get to build and expand upon a number of unique systems we’ve built to support our problem space. This includes our own Android Application/Device Management solution, powerful and proprietary testing tools. At Cruise, you can explore all levels of the Android ecosystem down to the OS and hardware levels, as we work to solve unique technical problems on our way to delivering the in-car experience for autonomous vehicles!
- Build out features requested by autonomous vehicle technicians, other AV engineers, our product team and our executives
- Write unit and integration tests for the app
- Understand our robotics platform and how to interact with it efficiently
- Continually implement technical improvements to our Android architecture and development process
You should apply for this role if you have:
- 5+ years experience as a Software Engineer
- 2+ years experience on Android
- BS degree preferred (CS)
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available on Google Play
- Ability to balance speed of development, code quality, and automated testing
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for engineering and product sense
- Deep knowledge of Android architecture
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, quickly delivering quality features to iterate on and learn from, often working in areas outside of their comfort zone to arrive at the optimal solution
- Kotlin experience
- Computer graphics and visualization knowledge
- Experience with game engines
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.