We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise Maps provide deep navigational knowledge and intelligence of the world to our AVs, so as to allow them to reason about their environment and maneuver safely while driving autonomously. Our HD Maps are a foundational component of the Cruise AV stack, and they serve as a mission critical input to several parts of our autonomous driving solution.
Cartographer is the Cruise Maps web platform that allows users to create, visualize, edit, and experiment with HD Semantic Maps. Cartographer sits at the center of all our map creation and maintenance workflows, and is one of the key points of interface between our HD Maps data and the rest of the company. Here are a few examples of projects our team is responsible for:
- High-performance 2D and 3D map rendering capabilities for lidar and camera data, as well as several semantic map layers that represent our complex road network
- Task management system and interface to support parallel map creation and maintenance workflows through thousands of concurrent tasks for users across the globe
- Scalable backend microservices and APIs to expose vast amounts of camera image and semantic map data, and to support complex query patterns for our users
- Dynamic infrastructure provisioning systems to support map maintenance and experimentation workflows
As a Senior Software Engineer on our team, you’ll have the opportunity to design, lead, and implement projects that have cross-functional and company-wide impact across a variety of partners and customers, including Map Operations, Perception, Prediction, and AV Robotics. Based on your particular skill sets, you’ll work on key parts of our stack ranging from high-performance 2D and 3D web applications to scalable backend microservices to over-the-air communications to/from our AVs.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Design, implement, and deploy back-end systems and tools to support creation and maintenance workflows for our HD Maps, including real-time map updates
- Design, implement, and deploy highly performant web applications and libraries to support smooth rendering and interaction of data-intensive 2D and 3D components
- Develop robust APIs for client applications and vehicle communications
- Drive best practices in our microservices backend architecture, as well as our React & Redux based web applications
- Support mission-critical applications and services in production.
You should apply for this role if you have:
- 5+ years of experience building and maintaining mission-critical backend services and frontend web applications at scale (not a hard requirement, but we expect our Senior Software Engineers to be able to operate and deliver complex solutions with a high level of autonomy and leadership)
- Solid expertise in building scalable backend APIs using Node.js, Python, Go, or similar languages
- Solid expertise in building modern and highly-performant frontend web applications using React, Redux, and/or similar web technologies
- Strong product focus, with the ability to work cross-functionally with key stakeholders and customers to discern requirements and build impactful solutions