We're Cruise, the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to join our Simulation team! In this position, you will be using both technical and artistic skills to light and shade a 3D virtual world with physically realistic lighting. Using state-of-the-art hardware, you will be pushing the limits of real time rendering to recreate real world environments. If you're interested in leveraging your lighting and materials experience in real time game or graphics engines to work on ground breaking technology, let's chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Define and build out a highly optimized and performant real time lighting pipeline for our Unreal Engine based 3D simulation framework.
- Align materials and textures to calibrated values and standardize authoring processes for Physically Based Rendering. Ensure existing and new material libraries align with set standards.
- Calibrate simulation engine rendering output to match measured camera hardware intrinsic properties and real world lighting conditions.
- Capture and integrate HDRI skydomes into Unreal Engine.
- Create in-engine lighting tools and asset evaluation environments.
- Work with rendering engineers to monitor performance and optimize the lighting pipeline and solutions.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of lighting experience in a production environment and have shipped at least one AAA game or film.
- Deep knowledge of lighting fundamentals, including: shadows, direct lighting, indirect lighting, AO, lighting atmospherics, tone-mapping etc.
- In-depth knowledge of real time rendering, including: physically-based rendering (PBR) pipelines, shader authoring in HLSL (or similar shader language) or shader graphs as well as shader performance profiling and optimization.
- A deep understanding of texturing, materials, and lighting (preferably in a realtime engine).
- A portfolio or reel, including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience with blueprints and material editor is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with calibrated material libraries
- Experience with HDR color grading or working with an ACES pipeline
- Understanding of camera, sensor, and lens technology
- Experience with photogrammetry
- Experience working with IES light profiles
- Experience creating real- time VFX
- Ability to script using Python, mel
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.