We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
Cruise is looking for a Senior Technical Artist to join our Simulation team! In this position, you will be using both technical and artistic skills to light and shade a 3D virtual world with physically realistic lighting. Using state-of-the-art hardware, you will be pushing the limits of real time rendering to recreate real world environments. If you're interested in leveraging your lighting and materials experience in real time game or graphics engines to work on ground breaking technology, let's chat!
What you'll be doing:
- Define and build out a highly optimized and performant real time lighting pipeline for our Unreal Engine based 3D simulation framework.
- Align materials and textures to calibrated values and standardize authoring processes for Physically Based Rendering. Ensure existing and new material libraries align with set standards.
- Calibrate simulation engine rendering output to match measured camera hardware intrinsic properties and real world lighting conditions.
- Capture and integrate HDRI skydomes into Unreal Engine.
- Create in-engine lighting tools and asset evaluation environments.
- Work with rendering engineers to monitor performance and optimize the lighting pipeline and solutions.
What you must have:
- 5+ years of lighting experience in a production environment and have shipped at least one AAA game or film.
- Deep knowledge of lighting fundamentals, including: shadows, direct lighting, indirect lighting, AO, lighting atmospherics, tone-mapping etc.
- In-depth knowledge of real time rendering, including: physically-based rendering (PBR) pipelines, shader authoring in HLSL (or similar shader language) or shader graphs as well as shader performance profiling and optimization.
- A deep understanding of texturing, materials, and lighting (preferably in a realtime engine).
- A portfolio or reel, including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience with blueprints and material editor is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with calibrated material libraries
- Experience with HDR color grading or working with an ACES pipeline
- Understanding of camera, sensor, and lens technology
- Experience with photogrammetry
- Experience working with IES light profiles
- Experience creating real- time VFX
- Ability to script using Python, mel
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.