We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Machine Learning Platform team builds and supports the essential tools and frameworks for every machine learning engineer at Cruise. Our goal is to greatly accelerate the development cycle of machine learning models across the whole company, empowering machine learning engineers to focus on improving the car’s safety and performance, instead of worrying about their infrastructure. Our scope covers the whole lifecycle of machine learning at Cruise: data processing, model training and deployment to vehicles. We are driven by the success of our partner teams who rely on our work to build the most advanced driverless cars in the world.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead design, implement and deploy backend systems and tools to support machine learning workflows at Cruise. Drive engineering excellence by setting standards and best practices for the team.
- Own team’s architecture and be a main go-to person of major technical decisions. Effectively lead project planning and design discussions with multiple senior or junior engineers.
- Foresee the effects of projects across multiple teams and be a key person at managing conflicts. Proactively work with partner teams to ensure they are benefiting from the systems we built.
- Conduct technical interviews of senior candidates with bar-raiser standards and play an essential role in strategic recruiting activities, including manager hiring.
- Work closely with Engineering Manager on coaching and improving team’s effectiveness. Onboard and mentor senior engineers by setting them for success at team and company.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experience with machine learning systems and/or frameworks, including:
- Common frameworks like Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, SciKit, etc.
- Parallel training and training efficiency
- Feature engineering and storage
- Experimentation platform and visualization
- Active learning and data sampling/discovery
- Model deployment (e.g., TensorRT conversion)
- Have a track record of building scalable ML systems spanning multiple teams, organizations with conflicting priorities and schedules.
- Proven track record of customer focus and working problems backwards from impact to the customer versus building exciting projects.
- Experience working with big data systems
- Expertise with tools, systems and processes required to accomplish the job
- Expertise helping with strategic hirings and senior engineer’s career development
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- BS, MS or PhD in CS, Math, or equivalent real-world experience
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience in scalable data processing and warehousing systems, such as: Spark, BigQuery/Bigtable, Dataflow (Google Cloud), etc.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Knowledge and experience with machine learning algorithms.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.