We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer on our Calibration Development team will be responsible for designing, building, and validating components and infrastructure required for calibration of our autonomous vehicle sensors (lidar, camera, radar, etc.). They will work with the calibration software team, sensors team, manufacturing/equipment engineers, and test engineers to drive calibration hardware development, including gathering requirements, designing components, validating designs, and implementing at scale.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Own the design, implementation, and testing of the target scene and infrastructure required to calibrate current and future AV sensor suites.
- Define mechanical design requirements for calibration equipment and components from high level objectives, working with sensors, calibration software, and testing teams.
- enforce release management protocols and rev control.
- Decide make vs buy for each component. Select vendors and manufacturing processes to ensure components meet specification with high quality, on time, and on budget.
- Provide guidance for installing the target scene and calibration infrastructure at future locations.
- Manage a timeline for developing your projects to meet cross-functional program goals.
- Create & review solid models & drawings for parts and assemblies
- Conduct CAE analysis & simulation where necessary to support design programs
- Lead and participate in cross-functional design reviews & proposals
- Embody core engineering and design principles along with values of Cruise.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS in mechanical, or similar engineering.
- 6+ years of mechanical design experience with proficiency in: lifecycle management, hardware development, and vendor management.
- Proficiency in CAD, CAE
- Understanding of machining and fabrication techniques.
- Understanding of tolerance analysis, DFMEA, and design for manufacturability (DFM).
- Understanding of electro-mechanical systems, automotive, robotics/automation
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to work in an ambiguous environment.
- Rapid prototyping skills highly desired
- Experience with compute/sensing hardware and testing
- Experience in the automotive industry
- Experience in industrial tooling & fixturing design
- Experience with ROS/Python/C++
- Experience with calibrating sensors (lidar, camera, radar, etc.)
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.