We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data up the stack. We are looking for a talented Test Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment. This is a unique opportunity to own and define how the embedded systems of an autonomous vehicle are tested and what it takes to get the driver out of the vehicle, safely and at scale. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
- Define testing and verification plans for the embedded software that enable Cruise vehicles.
- Work side by side with development managers to release high quality features with extensive regression testing.
- Work with Engineering Director(s) and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Drive software test engineering best practices within your team.
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Foster a healthy, collaborative culture and high-output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 7+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support scalable production systems.
- 10+ years experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments.
- Test-minded; has a unique ability to break things.
- Experience defining test automation strategies and driving its execution.
- Extensive experience building test plans, regression testing, and root cause analysis.
- Self motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve.
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills.
- Successfully grown software engineering teams by growing engineering managers and driving external leadership recruiting
- Experience managing multiple teams and initiatives in a mission-critical and fast-paced engineering organization
- Experience building teams from the ground up.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience with embedded Linux systems.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.