We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Government Affairs Organization:
The Government Affairs team works closely with civic leaders at all levels of government (local, state, federal, and international) to develop public policy solutions for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. As a well-seasoned, collaborative, and highly respected team, we work to engage and inform policymakers, public safety officials, community leaders, academia, and the general public about self-driving technology and its enormous potential benefits to society. Our team serves as the primary liaison and external-facing entity at Cruise, representing the company at anything from local neighborhood associations to international governing bodies.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Director, Public Affairs to join our growing, dynamic Government Affairs team. Based in San Francisco, this talented and self-motivated individual will be responsible for positively shaping the external environment through the successful positioning of Cruise’s policy and business priorities to key government and public audiences. This position is ideal for someone with relevant political or issue advocacy experience and an established background in developing public affairs strategies, grassroots outreach, coalition building, and business development. The Director, Public Affairs will build and lead a team that is strategic and forward thinking, as well as nimble and able to react effectively to challenges and opportunities.The Director, Public Affairs is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and passionate, with demonstrated leadership skills and ability to succeed in a fast-paced and ever changing atmosphere.
This position will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Develop and implement strategies, across multiple platforms, on messaging and how to best convey Cruise’s position on complex regulatory and policy issues to policymakers, regulators, professional and trade associations, academic institutions, think tanks, the communities in which Cruise operates, and other important audiences.
- Develop compelling messaging in advocacy and communications materials, including blog posts, op-eds, press releases, talking points, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
- Design, implement, and coordinate, public affairs strategies to complement and supplement Cruise’s legislative and political campaigns.
- Build political and community support for Cruise’s legislative, political, and issue campaigns.
- Manage iterative public opinion research through internal project management and relationships with key contractors.
- Assist the Vice President of Government Affairs in developing a strategic research agenda and leveraging such research to drive favorable policy outcomes.
- In concert with Marketing and Communications, participate as a seasoned communicator, who shows collaborative, strategic, and innovative thinking to enhance the visibility, stature, trust, and acceptance of Cruise in the communities in which we operate.
- Advise Cruise leadership concerning confidential, and multi-dimensional public issues and communicating with policymakers, regulators, community partners, and the general public.
- Assists the Social Impact team to sustain partnership arrangements that promote Cruise’s overarching mission.
- Manage external consultants.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Established public affairs expert with at least 12+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization--or in a political, governmental, or regulatory context. A mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage.
- Experience interacting with elected officials at all levels of government.
- Direct policy experience, preferably in the following fields: autonomous vehicles; transportation; smart cities; robotics and emerging technologies; data; sustainability.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and package top notch content on rapid deadlines.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing goals, and ability to influence people and manage issues effectively with little input or direction.
- Supervisory experience.
- Media and strategic campaign planning experience preferred.
- Significant political or legislative campaign experience.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.