We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Government Affairs Organization:
The Government Affairs team works closely with civic leaders at all levels of government (local, state, federal, and international) to develop public policy solutions for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. As a well-seasoned, collaborative, and highly respected team, we work to engage and inform policymakers, public safety officials, community leaders, academia, and the general public about self-driving technology and its enormous potential benefits to society. Our team serves as the primary liaison and external-facing entity at Cruise, representing the company at anything from local neighborhood associations to international governing bodies.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Director, Government Affairs to join our growing, dynamic Government Affairs team. Based in San Francisco, this talented and self-motivated individual will be responsible for leading government relations efforts and shaping public policies that promote a framework where Cruise and its customers can thrive. This position is ideal for someone with relevant political or issue advocacy experience and an established background working with regulators, legislators and policymakers at the State and local level, with a heavy emphasis on the State of California. This is a high-level thought-leadership role that is ideal for highly-motivated, entrepreneurial candidates with a passion for changing lives through dramatic paradigm shifts in the world’s approach to transportation. The Director, Government Affairs will build and lead a team that is strategic and forward thinking, as well as nimble and able to react effectively to challenges and opportunities.
This position will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Drive development and execution of Cruise’s long-term policy and advocacy, setting goals and determining metrics, resource allocation, and project timelines.
- Guide Cruise’s interactions with government on policy and business initiatives; engage directly with policymakers and regulators to bring an understanding of Cruise’s business and influence decisions.
- Maintain and strengthen productive relationships with State and local policymakers, with heavy emphasis on elected leaders in the State of California.
- Represent Cruise with professional, industry, and trade organizations, associations, coalitions, and other third-party allies, with the purpose to share our visions, align our common interests, and promote the development of the autonomous vehicle industry.
- Manage external consultants to craft strategy and drive policy and government relations efforts.
- Manage current -- and forecast forthcoming -- government initiatives that are pertinent to Cruise’s business.
- Develop policy insights that will help Cruise innovate and scale effectively, so that we may continue to deliver new solutions that improve transportation safety outcomes, sustainability, and accessibility.
- Assist the Vice President of Government Affairs in preparing reports, presentations and materials for Cruise’s executive leadership team, with respect to all government relations, regulations, and policy.
- Represent Cruise at national forums.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government, Public Affairs, a relevant field or equivalent practical experience.
- 12+ years of experience working on policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology industry groups, or corporations.
- Extensive knowledge of State and local legislative and regulatory processes, with heavy emphasis on the State of California.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, impeccable integrity, good judgment, strong analytical skills, and a keen sense of humor.
- Collaborative by nature and able to build strong partnerships.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and ability to manage a diverse and complex workload.
- Strong business judgment and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent presentation and public-speaking skills.
- A knack for synthesizing and distilling complex policy concepts.
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle industry.
- Experience working with environmental policy issues.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.