We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Technical Program Manager to support the Perception group in San Francisco. The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning. Throughout the lifecycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers within the Perception group design, train, and deploy machine learning models into our unique AV system to enable the AV to understand the dynamic environment around it.
As a TPM, you will be responsible for leading planning and execution across multiple teams and initiatives within the Perception group to support the research, design, development, and optimization of new machine learning algorithms and AV software. TPMs are responsible for the “when” and the “how” of the program, and hold their teams accountable to deliver on research and engineering projects to achieve business objectives. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing directly to the codebase.
If you're interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning problems in the industry, let’s chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Drives the formulation and review of department roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly and monthly cadence
- Partner with Technical Product Managers to turn requirements and technical specs into achievable implementation roadmaps, including planning timelines and milestones and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and manage our department design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of strategic initiatives, iterative improvements, and proactive engineering excellence investments. Support calculation of team capacity vs estimated workload, and ensure the team can deliver on their commitments
Execution and Delivery
- Own communication of team, initiative, and objective statuses to all stakeholders, including senior management and executives
- Be the point of contact for high-visibility cross-functional workstream. Drive all required meetings, monitor and understand progress, and consolidate and disseminate information
- Foresee the effects of projects across multiple teams and be a key person at managing conflicts and dependencies. Escalate and coordinate with dependent teams to unblock work
- Manage project risks, flag these early, and address mitigation where applicable to keep key initiatives on track. Shield teams from outside distractions and interferences
- Define the right team and group sprint processes and meetings (planning, execution, retrospectives) alongside Engineering Managers
- Maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of the team, ensuring the appropriate use of scrum process in JIRA
- Define and maintain a reporting structure to track in-flight and backlogged work
- Coordinate with product and engineering management to ensure KPI goals, project goals and acceptance criteria have been met and completed on schedule
- Help publicly celebrate the team’s wins
- Serve as an embodiment of Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
- Help define, build, and embody engineering culture and principles. Work closely with Engineering Managers and other leads on coaching and improving team collaboration and effectiveness
- Support the growth and organization of the team, act as a mentor, and support onboarding and career development
- Invest in recruiting and building the Cruise engineering brand, conduct technical interviews, and help raise our hiring bar
- Build strong cross team collaborations with the AV Robotics, Data Science, Ground Truth Engineering, and Machine Learning Platform teams.
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical field
- 6+ years of technical industry experience, including as a technical leader or manager
- Experience deploying algorithms and models into real world environments
- Experience managing complex fast-paced initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations, often with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Proficient with Agile testing methodologies and best practices
- Passionate about self-driving car technology and its impact on the world
- Experience working with computer vision algorithms and models such as sensor fusion, multi-object tracking, object detection and recognition, semantic and instance segmentation, and human pose and gesture recognition based on a variety of sensor modalities including lidar, camera and radar
- Experience with popular machine learning algorithms and frameworks such as Tensorflow and PyTorch. Technical experience in parallel model training, active learning, model deployment, TensorRT conversion
- Contributed to publications related to computer vision or machine learning
- Experience working with C++ and python in a production environment
- Experience designing high-speed feedback processes for research organizations
- Experience improving and delivering reliable software through continuous integration, automated testing and code reviews
- Experience performing root cause analysis on complex integrated systems, experience working with QA engineers, knowledge of QA concepts and methodology
- Understanding of JIRA and program management tools and processes
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.